The Shrieking Shack and North Tahoe Lodge



Although I love to show people how to build their own woodland houses I miss building my own. Sometimes I collect materials that are very hard to pass on to my students, especially if they don't do with them what i would have done! With Winter Faire and the Sono-Ma Studio Soiree fast aproaching I decided to selfishly use all this fabulous snow bleached manzanita bone-like wood and ridiculously bright moss I found in North Tahoe recently to build a very sculptural house. Of course I'll have to sell it eventually- I just don't have room inside for such a large house, but it's the building process I love anyway.



My seven year old is a huge Harry Potter fan- already having read his way through book three he wanted me to make him the Shrieking Shack- a 'haunted' two story building in the book. It needed, acording to Ben, a four poster bed, boarded windows, a secret passage, and a staircase. We are still working on the secret passage. i did make sure his little Harry lego man fits, with wand, through the hole in the floor. Eventually we'll put it on an old side table and drill a hole so the figure can escape to and from the Whomping Willow. lol.





2 comments:

  1. The Tahoe Expo is promoting a "Woodland Fairy Crawl" to introduce people to the magic of the forest. We are looking for people in the Tahoe basin to host the crawl and help connect people to the elves and fairies of the forest. Interested?

    ReplyDelete